I came to realise early on that our eczema baby couldn't tolerate our usual cleaning chemicals in the same way that we did and this lead me to look for natural alternatives. Thinking of him as sensitive, rather than ill I started to take our cleaning regime back to basics.
It was a nice surprised to discover that most of the natural solutions we found turned out to be cheaper and more effective :) Keep reading for our cleaning cupboard essentials and home made recipes.
Itchy Baby's Top Picks for Your Natural Cleaning Cupboard
- Ecozone Micro clothes - These things are quite amazing, needing only water for impressive cleaning of glass, stainless steal and tiles. Use 1 half damp the other dry.
- Sodium Bicarb - Baking soda. Softens water, de-greases, scours and freshens make into a paste to clean suborn grease and grime.
- White Vinegar - Antibacterial, great for surfaces and glass.
- Castile soap or Soap-flakes - Alternative to detergents for washing floors and surfaces, can be used for laundry and cleaner recipes.
- Essential oils - Smell lovely, have disinfecting properties and can prolong the life of homemade products.
- Gall Soap - An all natural stain remover bar for all colour fast fabric.
- Isopropyl Alcohol - Disinfectant, also fantastic for stains and sticky marks.
300mls boiled water
2 Tbs castile soap or soap-flakes
1 Tbs sodium Bicarb
25 drops tea tree essential oil
20 drops another essential oil. lemon, orange, lavender, lemongrass and peppermint all work well, I like lemongrass and grapefruit.
Add the soap or soap flakes into the cooling water and mix well, add the other ingredients. Once cool put the cleaning liquid into a spray bottle and label.
Shake before use, spray leave to work for a moment and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
Can also be used on wood work, stains on carpets or round the kitchen.
300mls cooled boiled Water
2 Tbs castile soap
15 drops essential oil lemon, orange, lavender, lemongrass, tea tree and peppermint all work well.
Mix the ingredients together and put them into a spray bottle.
Shake before use, spray onto surfaces and wipe clean with a damp cloth.
50:50 Distilled water and Isopropyl Alcohol
Mix together in a spray bottle. Use on TV's & Screens, Ipads ect works really well with the blue Microcloth.